Monday, December 22, 2008

ESSURE???.....YES!!! I am sure!!!

Okay so my procedure is done. So many of you have asked me about this or to give a follow up. So I decided to do a play by play to let you know all that is involved in the process.

1.  Start a Z-pack the night after dinner.
2.  Have a snack and take three advil and a valium 45 minutes before bed.
3.  Wake up eat breakfast at 8:30 and take valium, three advil and one lortab.
4.  At 10:30 am eat snack, take one valium, three advil and one lortab.
5.  Arrive at Dr's Office, they take blood pressure, give one shot of toradol (lowers heart rate and is muscle relaxer).  And pay $25 co-pay!
6.  Go into room, get Pregnancy Test to confirm no pregnancy.
7.  Enter sterile room, remove bottoms, doctor inserts speculum, puts a local anesthetic (sp?) on cervix.
8. Wait 15 minutes
9.  Doctor comes back in, inserts "camera" and inserts a coil into each tube that contains fibers that cause scar tissue to grow around the tube and cause the tube to be permenantly blocked.
10.  Leave....Take three advil with lunch, dinner and before bed.

This procedure was not only not painful, there was no uncomfortableness whatsoever. The toradol made my mouth dry and the anesthetic on my cervix made me shaky. It lasted probably 20 minutes. The actual procedure probably lasted 10 minutes. 

I have read a ton on Essure after my doctor recommended. Of course, as with anything you hear a lot of negatives, as people who are mad are generally the ones to post. But I will say this. I think it is very important to have a good physician preform the procedure. My physician, Dr. John R. Thompson, 494-9558 is one of the best OB's in town in my opinion. He educated me on the process, gave me the exact dosages of medicine so that I would not feel discomfort and was able to answer all my questions I had about the procedure. They have only been doing ESSURE in the US for about 5 Years, but it is the only FDA approved female sterilization procedure. It has been preformed in Europe for over 30 years. It is safe and the most effective method of female sterilization on the market, more than tubal ligation. So - if you are considering this, I would recommend Dr. Thompson. I will say this, I have recommended him to numerous friends, and I have never regretted it. EVERYONE of them loved him and his knowledge as a clinician. 

It has been about four hours after the procedure, and I don't feel a thing. And the last lortab I had was literally six hours ago. Again - I would highly recommend this. In addition, in case you were going to let your hubby take the hit on this one, Dr. Thompson informed us that they are beginning to find a link between vasectomy's and prostate cancer. 

5 comments:

kim said...

So glad that it all went well and glad you were the guinea pig!!

Julie Reid said...

Thanks for the phone call and the info. I called Jana right after I hung the phone up with you. She asked if this was going to be her Christmas present from me. Haha!!! But she is also trying to talk Gary into taking some action on this matter too. But I told her to read your blog and ask her doc about it. Glad to hear that everything went great. Hope you had a great time with my Mom and Dad. Hope y'all have a wonderful Christmas!!!

Terra said...

Glad everything went well! Love your Christmas card!! I was trying to figure out a way to incorporate our card with her birth announcement, but couldn't. Now I have double the postage. Why can't I think creatively?? Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!

Shelley said...

So glad you are a-okay. Keith took matters over on his own to remedy our situation -- just after our second was born. More power to ya, Becki!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Dr. Thompson has been my Dr. for almost 17 years and I am having the procedure done on Monday....driving all the way from Dallas. I had been reading several "scary" posts....SOOOOOO glad I found yours....I agree with you about Dr. Thompson 110%! He is recommending Novasure in November...have you had that done...how was your Essure "dye" test follow-up?