Thursday, July 31, 2008

Steal My Thunder....Please

I have been thinking of a way to post this for two days. Let me start out with who is in the picture, if you don't know. Stephanie, Becki (me), Laura, Molly and my parents, Steve and Norma. This is my precious family. And those are my "stisters". They are my best friends in the world.

Tuesday was a rough one for my family. My youngest sister Molly was on her way to the hospital to adopt her third child, Sadie Kate. Somewhere along the way, the birthmom changed her mind. Our hearts were broken. This is always a risk with adoption, and if you know Cooper's story, you understand in the back of our minds we are always prepared for this. But it does not take away the pain.

One thing you need to know for this to make sense, is that in our family, all of my sisters and I have the same sex children. In other words - Laura - Two Boys, Stephanie - Two Girls, Molly - Two Boys and Becki - One Girl. So I was going to be the first at something - the first to have one of each. ( I was the last to get married, have children, etc. I am a late bloomer!)

So what does the title mean? Well Tuesday night, we drove to OKC for some mexican food for healing. Just my sisters, parents, and Molly's husband Blake. We had a great time fellowshiping and really focusing on the blessings that we have. We went back to Molly's house and on the way out, Molly said to me, "well I didn't steal your thunder". My heart literally sank into my stomach. I love her so much and have grown up a bit since our highschool days. I was so excited for Sadie Kate, I could have cared less about still not having a "first". I know she didn't mean it in a bad way, she was giggling when she said it. But it made me realize how much I loved her. I would give anything for her to be happy....I thought a lot on the way home. And as I laid my head on my pillow that night, I prayed, "God, let her steal my thunder.....Please".

If you have siblings, I hope you are blessed enough to have the relationship that I have. One that does not have competition, that has support, honesty, love, accountability and a mutual love for Christ. If you do not, it is never to late to start working in that direction. Today, be thankful for your siblings.

6 comments:

Stephanie Love said...

You amaze me and I love you...I love being with you...I love who you are...I love your family...

I LOVE YOU!
Steph

The Woods Family Blog said...

I read this through tears, Becki. I'm so sorry to hear the news. I'll be thinking of you and your family and wishing you ALL the best of luck.

Allison

Molly said...

Oh Becki! If I had only known that made you sad! I am so sorry. I was just trying to make us laugh. You have no idea how much I love and adore you. I miss you already. Thanks for dropping everything to come here on Tuesday. I couldn't have done that night without you all. That's too much emotion and goo for a husband to have to handle. No matter how good he is! Love you and thanks for the prayers! I haven't even cried today!

Terra said...

Becky,
This post broke my heart as I felt your complete honesty in your prayer for Molly to have her baby girl and to "steal your thunder." I have 4 sisters too and as we all grow up, our relationships change and we realize how fortunate we are to have each other as there is nothing that can compare to a sister's love. This post+my pregnancy hormones=lots and lots of tears! :) Your family is precious!!
Terra

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing to look back (even just a few years ago) and see how much we have grown (thank you Jesus)! I feel so lucky to have you and your sisters as shining examples of what it is to be sisters in Christ! Love you! Dee

Stephanie Love said...

Who can tell that this picture was taken before our trip to Branson? HAHAHAHA!!!!
Steph