Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Confessions of a Mad Woman....

I am a bad mom...not always, but Monday - I totally failed the "mommy test". I took Ragon to her first movie. I totally talked it up, about how fun it would be. About having a snack, being quiet, etc. Our local movie theatre has a "kids film festival" all summer and offers free movies for kids one day a week during the summer. (for more info all over Tulsa click HERE). Anyway - I took Ragon to ZATHURA. If you have seen this movie, you know where this is going. This movie is NOT for children, in my opinion of any age. Now, generally I am not that conservative, but in the first five minutes one kid called another kid a "D"....another word for penis. YEP! I couldn't believe it. I almost left (and should have) but thought, I talked this up and she, and Greyson, were being so good and watching it, I let it go. But about the time the Robot began chasing the kids through the house trying to kill them...well we were out of there! Seriously - Ragon climbed into my lap, clung to me like a tree frog and said "I scerred". It broke my heart. I am the one who is supposed to protect her little mind and let her keep her innocence. And here I had taken her to her first movie and I hadn't looked it up! I just assumed someone elses' standards met mine! Big mistake. To make matters worse, she screamed bloody murder when I put her to bed, because she was "scerred of the mobie". It literally felt like my heart was being ripped out as I left her! Anyway - the crying was significantly shorter tonight, hopefully past it tomorrow. So the lesson - check out the movies, G ratings are BOGUS nowadays!

3 comments:

Molly said...

Poor Ragon! I wondered if she might have a hard time sleeping after the movie. Sometimes I wonder that about monsters inc? Sorry your good idea went south, cracks me up though after our discussion about Madagascar 2! Silly momma!

Kathy Hitchcock said...

You poor thing. I hate it when I get surprised in situations that I think are going to be good ones. Hope Ragon is sleeping better soon. Do you use pluggedinonline.com to review movies prior to the fam watching them? It is a Focus on the Family website so the reviews are very conservative which is good when you are talking about letting your 2 year old watch something. It's a favortie site of mine!
BTW--you are a great mom!

Ashleigh Murphy said...

Has Ragon said the "D" word yet?